Department was set up in 2009 Under prenatal medicine program. Consultant working in the department are trained and certified Fetal Medicine specialists. Along with specialized antenatal ultrasound scans, a variety of antenatal diagnostic as well as therapeutic invasive procedures are offered in the department.
PROCEDURES / SURGERIES PERFORMED IN DEPT:
Ultrasound done in fetal medicine:-
Dating Scan / Early pregnancy scan
Nuchal transluancy scan (NT) Scan / 11-14 weeks anomaly scan and Down syndrome screening
Uterine Artery Doppler Study
Early second trimester anomaly scan.
Level II Anomaly scan
TVS cervical length
Growth scan, scan for fetal well being
Fetal 2D echo
3D, 4D scan
Invasive procedures :-
Following invasive procedures are carried out routinely in the department. A detailed counseling of the patient / couple about the indication, sample analysis and associated risks is done prior to the procedure.
1. Amniocentesis : This is the commonest diagnostic procedure offered to rule out chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus. The procedure is done after 16 completed weeks.
2. Chorionic Villi Sampling: This diagnostic procedure is done mainly for prenatal diagnosis of different genetic disorders where mutation analysis on fetal DNA is necessary for diagnosis. (Eg. Thalassemia, DMD, SMA, autosomal recessive metabolic disorders etc)
3. Fetal Reduction: This is offered to patients with higher order multifetal gestation (Triplets / quadruplets) to inprove survival chances of other fetuses and to improve pregnancy outcome. The procedure is also offered as a selective reduction procedure in Twin gestation when one of the fetuses show abnormality that is known to cause severe disability after birth in the affected fetus. The procedure is offered between 11-12 weeks of pregnancy.
4. Intrauterine fetal blood transfusion: This is a life saving theraputic procedure done in fetuses found to have severe anemia in utero. The commonest indication is anemia due to Rhesus isoimmunisation in the mother.
5. Amnioreduction : This is offered to mothers with severe symptomatic polyhydramnios with aim to prolong pregnancy to a deliverable gestational age.
6. Cordocentesis : This is a diagnostic test offered to couples where fetal blood sample is necessary to diagnose rare suspected disease.
VOLUSON E8 USG machine
VOLUSON E6 USG machine
PAST CONFERENCE OR EVENT DETAILS:
CME Multifetal gestation
CME fetal medicine
PMP meeting in every month on second tuesday
DIRECT TELEPHONE / FAX / EMAIL :
020-49153360 / 020-49153359 / 020-49153398